Straw craft, called mugiwara zaiku in Japanese, is a unique, traditional handicraft with vibrant colors and intricate patterns that, in all of Japan, is only produced in Kinosaki Onsen.
Observe the fascinating and complex straw craft process, learn about its history, and get a private tour of the craftsman's workshop. Make your own original straw craft design on a small box to keep as a lovely souvenir. With the help of the craftsman and your English-speaking guide, you will get to trim, position, and glue delicate pieces of straw into a beautifully intricate patterned design.
It is said that in mid-Edo era (around 1720 AD), a craftsman named Hanhichi from the Inshuu area (what is now Tottori Prefecture) came to stay in Kinosaki Onsen. To make money to pay for his lodging expenses, Hanhichi sold bamboo flutes and spinning tops decorated with colored straw. After this, the straw craft was also used to decorate chests, boxes, and wooden prayer plaques. After the Meiji period began, famous artists visited Kinosaki and drew sketches for the straw craft’s designs, and thus straw craft gained popularity as an expensive, popular, and unparalleled handicraft. Today, the straw is flattened, dyed, and placed on small boxes, colored paper, spinning tops, and clay bells. Kinosaki Onsen is proud to be the only place in Japan which continues the traditional production of straw craft while preserving the original skills and techniques of the past.
- REGISTRATION START
- REGISTRATION ENDS
- RESERVATION DEADLINE
- 7 days before activity
- ACTIVITY OPTIONS
- Morning Course (9:30-12:00)
- Afternoon Course (13:30-16:00)
(Some times may differ)
- Morning Course
9:30 Meet guide at your lodging ryokan (or Kinosaki Onsen Station), head to shop on foot
10:00 Kamiya Mingei Shop
10:00-10:30 Learn about the history and process of straw craft, watch straw-affixing demonstration
10:30-12:00 Straw craft box decorating activity (pasting pre-cut straw pieces on the top of a box)
12:00 End of tour
13:30 Meet guide at your lodging ryokan (or Kinosaki Onsen Station), head to shop on foot
14:00 Kamiya Mingei Shop
14:00-14:30 Learn about the history and process of straw craft, watch straw-affixing demonstration
14:30-16:00 Straw craft box decorating activity (pasting pre-cut straw pieces on the top of a box)
16:00 End of tour
- ACCOMPANYING GUIDE
(INCLUDED OR NOT)
- MINIMUM NUMBER OF PEOPLE
- AGE REQUIREMENT
- must be 12 years or older
- MEETING PLACE
- Kinosaki Onsen Station, 283 Yushima, Kinosaki-cho, Toyooka-shi, Hyogo 669-6101
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- When you make the reservation, please inform us of whether you would like to meet at Kinosaki Onsen Station or at your lodging ryokan (and if so, the name of said ryokan).
(Per person unless otherwise noted)
Number of People Participating in Total Price per Person (12 years and older) 2 people 13,700 yen 3 people 10,500 yen 4 people 9,000 yen 5 people 8,000 yen 6 people 7,400 yen
- INCLUDED IN THE PRICING
- English-speaking guide, activity reservation, activity, materials
- CANCELLATION FEES
Day of Cancellation Cancellation Fee (% of activity price) The day of 100% The day before 50% 2-7 days before 20% 8+ days before 0%
- ACCEPTED PAYMENT TYPES
- Pay by credit card (VISA, MASTER, JCB, AMEX, DC) via an activity confirmation link in an e-mail that we will send to you following your reservation. Please pay the amount by 3 days prior to the activity at the latest. If not paid by then, the activity reservation will be automatically cancelled.
- OPERATOR NAME
- Toyooka Tourism Innovation