Try various traditional Japanese cultural experiences!
Travel back to the Edo era by experiencing traditional Japanese culture while you're in a traditional onsen town. You can choose between tea ceremony, flower arrangement, koto, and calligraphy. (Calligraphy is on a separate page here). To further enhance your cultural experience, you can choose to wear yukata or hakama while participating in the activity. All of these activities include instruction (guidance) from an experienced staff member. Instructions will be given in a mix of English speaking, written directions, and the use of Pocketalk, a small two-way voice translation device. Have a friend or family member take photos of you to capture the moment.
Learn how to play the koto, the national instrument of Japan. The koto has thirteen strings, which are plucked using three finger picks (thumb, index finger, and middle finger). Have a friend or family member record yourself playing the koto after the instructor teaches you a simple song. This activity can also be done in yukata.
Participate in tea ceremony, an ancient Japanese practice involving the ceremonial preparation and presentation of matcha. You will learn about the various Japanese tea instruments, as well as the ceremony procedures. Enjoy matcha with a traditional Japanese sweet called wagashi in a traditional tatami atmosphere. Enhance this activity by wearing yukata.
Learn how to make ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arrangement. Ikebana, along with tea ceremony and incense appreciation, is one of the three classical Japanese arts of refinement. An instructor will teach you how to cut and strategically place your flowers. Photos will be taking with your masterpiece afterwards.
- REGISTRATION START
- RESERVATION DEADLINE
- 14 days before activity
- ACTIVITY OPTIONS
- Koto: Plan A (10:30-11:30)
- Koto: Plan B (13:00-14:00)
- Koto: Plan C (15:00-16:00)
- Tea Ceremony: Plan A (10:30-11:30)
- Tea Ceremony: Plan B (13:00-14:00)
- Tea Ceremony: Plan C (15:00-16:00)
- Flower Arrangement: Plan A (10:30-11:30)
- Flower Arrangement: Plan B (13:00-14:00)
- Flower Arrangement: Plan C (15:00-16:00)
(Some times may differ)
Plan A / Plan B / Plan C:
10:30 / 13:00 / 15:00 - Activity starts, meet at IROHA Japanese Culture EX
• Head over by foot from Kinosaki Onsen Station or Kinosaki ryokan
11:30 / 14:00 / 16:00 - Activity ends, receive a souvenir
***If you choose to rent yukata for activity, meet 30 minutes before activity (10:00 / 12:30 / 14:30) at IROHA Yukata Shop & Rental.
- ACCOMPANYING GUIDE
(INCLUDED OR NOT)
- Not Included
- MINIMUM NUMBER OF PEOPLE
- AGE REQUIREMENT
- None as long as there is an accompanying adult
- MEETING PLACE
- IROHA Japanese Culture EX, 248 Yushima, Kinosaki-cho, Toyooka City, Hyogo-ken
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- If you would like to rent yukata to wear during the activity, please leave a comment when you make your reservation. Rental prices starts from 2,800 yen. If you choose to wear yukata, please meet 30 minutes before the activity start time at Iroha.
(Per person unless otherwise noted)
Number of People Participating in Total Price per Adult (Tea Ceremony) Price per Adult (Flower Arrangement) Price per Adult (Koto) Price per Child (any activity) 1 person N/A N/A N/A 3,500 yen 2 people 6,500 yen 7,500 yen 7,500 yen 3,500 yen 3 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 4 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 5 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 6 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 7 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 8 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 9 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen 10 people 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 5,000 yen 3,500 yen
- CANCELLATION FEES
Day of Cancellation Cancellation Fee (% of activity price) The day of 100% The day before 50% 2-7 days before 30% 8+ days before 0%
- ACCEPTED PAYMENT TYPES
- Pay by credit card (VISA, MASTER, JCB, AMEX, DC) via an activity confirmation link in an e-mail that we will send to you following your reservation.
- OPERATOR NAME
- IROHA Japanese Culture EX